This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Brae Fell Cottage is ideal for two families who are looking for a self catering holiday in a rural location. The cottage is located at Monkhouse Hill, a 300 year old converted Cumbrian hill farm. Brae Fell is one of a collection of Eleven cottages which are in a courtyard setting within six acres of grounds. There are fields to three sides of us and the B road from which we gain access is on the fourth side.
Brae Fell Cottage has two bedroom suites each with private hallway, a double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a bathroom.
Brae Fell Cottage has been created from a 300 year old barn and retains much character with its vaulted roof, exposed stonework and beams. The cottage is fully refurbished in a contemporary Cumbrian style.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 016974 76254 or email email@example.com.
- The nearest railway station is Carlisle, approximately 18lm/11mi from Monkhouse Hill. No bus service is available, but taxis can be booked from http://www.radiotaxis.org.uk/ or over the phone on 01228 527575.
- Shopping can be delivered at your cottage using the postcode CA5 7HW, and selecting Monkhouse Hill Farm in the drop down option. In the extra information, please state your cottage name. Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda all deliver to Monkhouse Hill.
- We have a Welcome All Assistance Cupboard – please ask us to email the inventory to you when you book and let us know what you would like to borrow. These items will be put into the cottage ready for your arrival. Additionally, wheelchairs and commodes can be borrowed from the local Red Cross.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is an automatic gate outside the cottages which opens when a car activates the sensor (no key/remote needed).
- Parking is available on site for all cottages, maximum distance to cottage is 60m, but closer, wider parking spaces can be reserved on request (15m distance from Brae Fell cottage).
- Parking areas are loose stones, with paved walkways to the Reception and the cottage.
- You can come to reception on arrival from 4pm until 5.30pm to be shown around your cottage but keys will be in the door ready for your arrival.
- A familiarisation tour of the cottage is offered on arrival.
- The parking areas, and most access paths are lit at night. There is an outside light above each cottages entrance, which can be operated from inside and outside.
Entrance to Property
- There is a small (100mm) step before the entrance.
- The main door is 820mm wide over a 50mm lip. This leads onto fitted door matting in the entrance area.
- The entrance area is lit with a ceiling lamp, and outside lights are switched on prior to arrival at night.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The cottage is located on two floors.
- On the ground floor, the kitchen and dining room are open plan, with two steps leading to a corridor (760mm wide) with two bedrooms and a bathroom.
- On the first floor, the living room and reading area are open plan, with two steps leading to a corridor (700mm wide) with two bedrooms and a bathroom.
- There is 10 steps, which include a 90 degree turn. The steps are backless, and covered in short pile carpet. There is a hand rail on the left hand side. They are 700mm wide.
- There is an alternate entrance directly to the first floor, via 11 stone steps (which can be slippery when wet). There is a hand rail.
- All areas adjoining apart from the kitchen and bathrooms are covered with short pile carpet.
- All areas are well lit using a combination of ceiling lights.
- The lounge is all on the first floor, at the top of the stairs.
- There are two 3 person sofas, and one 2 person sofa.
- All tables are low, and tables can be removed to create more space.
- All furniture is movable.
- There is a 37” widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitle, and a DVD player.
- A log stove is situated on a 50mm high flagstone.
- Lighting is provided by two hanging lamps, and 4 spotlights. There is also Velux roof windows.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet, with a large rug in front of the log stove.
- Adjoining the lounge there is a reading area. Here there is 2 armchairs, a low table and shelves with books provided. The lighting is provided through standing lamps, which also have an adjustable spotlight for reading.
- The dining area is situated downstairs, adjacent to the kitchen.
- There is level access from the entrance area and the kitchen.
- There is at least 1500mm of space around the table. The table top is 750mm high, and there is 630mm of space below.
- There are 8 upright chairs without arms but upright armed chairs are on request.
- The area is lit via adjustable spotlights, and two standing lamps.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- The kitchen is adjacent to the dining area, with step free level access.
- The doorway is 1200mm wide.
- The worktop/sink/hob are 910mm above the floor. The microwave is situated on top of the worktop.
- The door of the oven drops down, with the handle being 650mm above the floor.
- Each cottage has a washer/Dryer
- The highest shelf in the fridge/freezer is 1500mm above the floor, and the lowest is 130mm.
- Most cupboards are below the worktop, but there are 3 cupboards at 1800mm height. Contents can be moved to lower cupboards upon request.
- Sink tap is dual control mixer tap.
- The kettle is cordless, and able to rotate 360 degrees.
- The kitchen is lit with four adjustable ceiling spotlights.
- The floor is wooden laminate.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There is four bedrooms in total, with a double room and a twin room on each floor.
- Downstairs, the double room entrance is 730mm wide, and the twin room is 620mm.
- Upstairs, the both the double and twin room entrances are 730mm wide.
- All single beds have a mattress height of 550mm, with 270mm below the frame, as does the upstairs double bed. The downstairs double bed has a mattress height of 620mm, with 250mm below.
- There is at least 850mm space around each bed, although the downstairs twin room has the least space.
- All furniture is movable, though the double beds have limited movement.
- All drawers are less than 800mm high, and there is a fixed wardrobe rail at 1500mm.
- Colour contrast between the floor and walls is mediocre, contrast between the doorways is good.
- All bedding is non-feather.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- Lighting is provided through a ceiling lamp, and two bedside lamps.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- There is two bathrooms in the cottage.
- Both door openings are 630mm wide, and are on level access from the bedrooms.
- In the upstairs bathroom-
- There is a jacuzzi bath, with sides of 540mm and no grab supports.
- The height of the washbasin is 880mm, and there is a narrow half length pedestal underneath.
- In the downstairs bathroom-
- There is a bath/shower, with sides of 540mm and has a hand rail on the side of the bath.
- The height of the washbasin is 770mm, and there is a narrow full length pedestal underneath.
- In both bathrooms-
- The bath and sink taps are individually controlled.
- The WC seat is 400mm above the floor.
- Removable support/grab rails, toilet raisers and other access enhancing equipment can be provided on request.
- Lighting is provided by adjustable spotlights, and have an integrated lamp within the mirror.
- The colour contrast of floor, walls and towels is low. The contrast between the door and other items is high.
- The floor is tiled.
- The cottages are set in 5 acres of land. Most land is undulating, and paths are cut grass, there are no hardcore paths in place.
- Brae Fell cottage has plastic garden chairs outside the main entrance in summer months. Plastic garden tables can also be provided.
- There is a mixture of wooded areas, lawns, longer grass and wild flowers. There are also two ponds with an adjoining stream. Grass can be boggy in wet weather.
- Dogs are welcome in the cottage.
- Overall the colour contrast in the cottage is good, aside from the bathroom.
- The nearest hospital is situated in Carlisle. Postcode CA2 7HY.
- The nearest doctors surgery is situated in Caldbeck, approximately 4mi away. Telephone 016974 78254. Postcode CA7 8DS.
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network which works in all cottages.
- EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) have strong 3G/4G mobile reception, O2 and Vodafone have reasonable 2G/3G reception, other networks have more limited reception and are less likely to work indoors.
- Camera’s are in operation in public area’s
Local Equipment Hire
- We keep a range of assistance items here at Monkhouse Hill, and can borrow others from the local Red Cross – see Welcome All Assistance Cupboard.