This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Great Calva Cottage is ideal for larger groups wishing to holiday together in a rural location. The cottage is located at Monkhouse Hill, a 300 year old converted Cumbrian hill farm. Great Calva is one of a collection of Eleven cottages which are in a courtyard setting within six acres of grounds. There are fields to three sides of us and the B road from which we gain access is on the fourth side.
Great Calva Cottage has three bedroom suites each with private hallway, a double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a bathroom.
Great Calva Cottage was a new build opening in 2000 in the same architectural style as the original buildings on site. It is furnished in a contemporary Cumbrian style.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 016974 76254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The nearest railway station is Carlisle, approximately 18lm/11mi from Monkhouse Hill. No bus service is available, but taxis can be booked from http://www.radiotaxis.org.uk/ or over the phone on 01228 527575.
- Shopping can be delivered at your cottage using the postcode CA5 7HW, and selecting Monkhouse Hill Farm in the drop down option. In the extra information, please state your cottage name. Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda all deliver to Monkhouse Hill.
- We have a Welcome All Assistance Cupboard – please ask us to email the inventory to you when you book and let us know what you would like to borrow. These items will be put into the cottage ready for your arrival. Additionally, wheelchairs and commodes can be borrowed from the local Red Cross.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is an automatic gate outside the cottages which opens when a car activates the sensor (no key/remote needed).
- Parking is available on site for all cottages, and an extra-wide space can be reserved 5m from your cottage on request.
- Parking areas are loose stones, with paved walkways to the Reception and your cottage.
- You can come to reception on arrival from 4pm until 5.30pm to be shown around your cottage but keys will be in the door ready for your arrival.
- A familiarisation tour of your cottage is offered on arrival.
- The parking areas, and most access paths are lit at night. There is an outside light above each cottages entrance, which can be operated from inside and outside.
Entrance to Property
- There are 3 small outdoor steps, of about 150mm height, to the doorway.
- The main door has a clear opening width of 740mm and is over a 100mm lip.
- The entrance is well lit both outside and inside, and outside lights are switched on prior to arrival at night. Inside lighting is provided through ceiling lights.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The cottage has various landings and halls linking the bedrooms and bathrooms. The minimum width of the halls is 900mm, and no doorway (excluding a store cupboard) is less than 730mm.
- There are 13 steps, split into three sections around a 180 degree turn. There is a hand rail one one side for the entirety of the stairway. The minimum width of the steps is 850mm.
- The stairways, landings and halls are lit using ceiling lights.
- The sitting room is situated upstairs.
- There are 5 sofas- three 3 seaters, one 2 seater, and an armchair. There is plenty of room in the sitting room.
- Tables are low (500mm), and all furniture is moveable, although limited with sofas. There is at least a 1000mm space between most furniture.
- There is a 42” widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitle, and a DVD player. There is also a Hi-Fi audio player.
- A log stove is situated on a 50mm high flagstone.
- Lighting is provided through spotlights, hanging lamp, table lamps and standing lamps.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet, with a large rug in front of the fireplace.
- There is also a second sitting room, which is adjacent to the living room. The doorway is 730mm wide on level access. There is a two seater sofa and two single seaters, none of which have armrests. There is also a 19 inch television. The room is lit by hanging lamps, a table lamp and through roof-windows. The carpet is fitted short pile.
- The dining area is situated downstairs, adjacent to the kitchen.
- The clear door opening width (from the entrance area) is 730mm.
- There is space around the table for a wheelchair, and the height between the floor and the underside of the table is 610mm. The height of the top of the table is 730mm.
- There are 15 chairs, 12 without arms, 2 with arms and one larger rocking chair.
- All chairs are moveable.
- The area is lit via hanging lamps, wall lights and standing lights.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- The kitchen is situated downstairs, on level access to the dining area.
- The entrance is 1150mm, and does not have a door.
- The worktop is at a height of 900mm.
- There are two ovens and a grill. All doors drop down, and are at a height less than 690mm.
- The microwave is side opening, and is at a height of 1650mm.
- There is a fridge and seperate freezer in the kitchen, both under the worktop. There is also a large fridge/freezer in the dining area. The highest shelf is 1700mm, and lowest 250mm.
- There are 1800mm cupboards in both the kitchen and the dining area. Contents (such as glasses and crockery) can be moved to lower cupboards upon request.
- The sink taps are controlled by dual control mixer taps.
- A swing top bin, pincer grippers and an illuminated magnifying glass can be provided on request.
- The kettle is cordless, and able to rotate 360 degrees.
- The kitchen is lit with adjustable ceiling spotlights.
- The floor is faux tile.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- The cottage is split into 3 different sleeping areas.
- Downstairs there are two passageways, both with a twin room, a double room and a bathroom coming off them. Please note in one of these passageways, there are two steps leading to the twin room. In these rooms, there is generally 1000mm of space around the beds.
- Upstairs there is a twin room, a double room, and separate bath and shower rooms. In these rooms, there is generally 1200mm of space around the beds.
- The second dining room (mentioned above) can also be configured as an extra bedroom, with sofa-beds allowing either two extra single beds or one extra double bed. There is reduced space around the beds in this room, less than 1000mm.
- The clear door opening width in all rooms is at least 730mm.
- Each bedroom is lit by a combination of bedside lamps, hanging lamps and a dressing lamp.
- The height of the mattress in each room is 550mm, and there is no space underneath.
- Each room has a wardrobe, a dressing table and bedside tables. The height of the wardrobe rails are 1800mm, and cannot be adjusted.
- Colour contrast between the floor, walls and doorways is medium.
- All bedding is non-feather.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- All double rooms have a digital alarm clock/radio provided.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- Upstairs there is a bathroom with a toilet, sink and bath. There is also a spa room with a sauna, shower and steam tub.
- The upstairs bathroom is on level access with the living area and upstairs bedrooms. The clear door opening with is 700mm. The WC height is 410mm. The washbasin has a height of 930mm, with a half length pedestal.
- The spa room is on level access with the rest of the upstairs. In the spa room, there is a shower with a step of 130mm. There is a sauna with a door width of 520mm. There is a steam tub with a small step to access. There are speakers installed with remote control in the spa room.
- There are two bathrooms downstairs. Both bathrooms have a clear door opening of 750mm. Both bathrooms have a combined bath/shower, with side heights of 540mm. The sink height is 800mm.
- Removable support/grab rails, toilet raisers and other access enhancing equipment can be provided on request.
- The room is lit by ceiling lamps and sink lamps.
- The colour contrast of floor, walls and towels is low. The contrast between the doorway and other areas is high.
- The floor is tiled.
- The cottage has a 5×3 metre paved patio area outside the front door. This is at level access from the parking space.
- There is plastic garden chairs on the patio. Plastic tables can also be provided (they are found in the garden store cupboard)
- The cottage complex is contained within over 5 acres of land.
- There is a mixture of wooded areas, lawns, longer grass and wild flowers. There are also two ponds with an adjoining stream. Grass can be boggy in wet weather.
- Dogs are welcome in the cottage.
- Overall the colour contrast in the cottage is good, aside from the bathroom.
- The nearest hospital is situated in Carlisle. Postcode CA2 7HY.
- The nearest doctors surgery is situated in Caldbeck, approximately 4mi away. Telephone 016974 78254. Postcode CA7 8DS.
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network which works in all cottages.
- EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) have strong 3G/4G mobile reception, O2 and Vodafone have reasonable 2G/3G reception, other networks have more limited reception and are less likely to work indoors.
- Camera’s are in operation in public area’s
Local Equipment Hire
- We keep a range of assistance items here at Monkhouse Hill, and can borrow others from the local Red Cross – see Welcome All Assistance Cupboard.