This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Mickle Rigg Cottage is ideal for couples who want a romantic self catering holiday. The cottage is set in a rural location at Monkhouse Hill, a 300 year old converted Cumbrian hill farm. Mickle Rigg is one of a collection of nine cottages which are in a courtyard setting within six acres of grounds. There are fields to three sides of us and the B road from which we gain access is on the fourth side.
Mickle Rigg is a ground floor cottage converted from a 100 year old building and has one bedroom. The cottage is fully refurbished in a contemporary Cumbrian style.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 016974 76254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The nearest railway station is Carlisle, approximately 18lm/11mi from Monkhouse Hill. No bus service is available, but taxis can be booked from http://www.radiotaxis.org.uk/ or over the phone on 01228 527575.
- A pre-arrival shopping order can be done online, this will be unpacked into your cottage prior to your arrival. Please see here for more details.
- Shopping can be delivered at your cottage using the postcode CA5 7HW, and selecting Monkhouse Hill Farm in the drop down option. In the extra information, please state your cottage name. Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda all deliver to Monkhouse Hill.
- We have a Welcome All Assistance Cupboard – please ask us to email the inventory to you when you book and let us know what you would like to borrow. These items will be put into the cottage ready for your arrival. Additionally, wheelchairs and commodes can be borrowed from the local Red Cross.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is an automatic gate outside the cottages which opens when a car activates the sensor (no key/remote needed).
- Parking is available on site for all cottages, maximum distance to cottage is 60m, but closer, wider parking spaces can be reserved on request (30m distance).
- Parking areas are loose stones, with paved walkways to the Farmhouse and your cottage.
- Keys are collected from the Farmhouse, around 30m from the parking. Keys can be brought to your car if desired.
- A familiarisation tour of your cottage is offered on arrival.
- The parking areas, and most access paths are lit at night. There is an outside light above each cottages entrance, which can be operated from inside and outside.
Entrance to Property
- The main door is 860mm wide over a 100mm lip. This leads onto fitted door matting in the entrance area.
- The entrance area is lit with a hanging lights, and outside lights are switched on prior to arrival at night.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The cottage is all located on the ground floor, and has no internal stairs.
- Due to the dining/kitchen/living area being open plan, there is only one small corridor linking the entrance, bathroom, living area and bedroom. At narrowest, this corridor is 800mm.
- All areas are well lit using a combination of ceiling lights.
- The lounge is located in the living area, with level access from all parts of the cottage.
- There is one 2 person sofa, and one single seater sofa.
- All tables are low, and tables can be removed to create more space.
- All furniture is movable, although there is already space for wheelchair users throughout the cottage.
- There is a 27” widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitles, and a DVD player.
- A log stove is situated on a 50mm high flagstone.
- Lighting is provided by natural light, hanging lamps, and adjustable spotlights. There is also a table lamp.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet, with a large rug in front of the log stove.
- The dining area is situated in the living area, with level access from all parts of the cottage.
- There is at least 1000mm of space around the table. The table top is 740mm high, and there is 700mm of space below.
- Chairs are without arms but upright armed chairs can be provided on request.
- The area is lit via natural light, hanging lights and adjustable spotlights.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- The kitchen is adjacent to the living are, with level access from all parts of the cottage.
- The worktop/sink/hob are 890mm above the floor. The microwave is situated on top of the worktop.
- The door of the oven opens sideways, with the handle being 650mm above the floor.
- The fridge/freezer is located underneath the worktop, and the lowest shelf is 250mm.
- Most cupboards are below the worktop, but there are 3 cupboards at 1800mm height. Contents can be moved to lower cupboards upon request.
- The sink taps are individually controlled via twist taps.
- The kettle is cordless, and able to rotate 360 degrees.
- The kitchen is lit with natural light, and four adjustable ceiling spotlights.
- The floor is wooden laminate.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- The doorway to the bedroom is 780mm wide.
- There is a double bed, with a mattress height of 530mm, and 210mm of space below.
- There is at least 900mm space around the bed, with over 1000mm near the entrance to the room.
- The bedside tables are movable, but the double bed has limited movement.
- Colour contrast between the floor, walls and doorway is good.
- All bedding is non-feather.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- Lighting is provided through natural light, a ceiling lamp, two bedside lamps, and one light integrated into the mirror.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- The bathroom has a sliding door, which opens 840mm wide, and is on level access to the rest of the cottage.
- There is a jacuzzi bath/shower, with sides of 580mm and grab supports.
- The height of the washbasin is 890mm, and there is a narrow half length pedestal underneath.
- The bath and sink taps are individually controlled.
- The WC seat is 400mm above the floor.
- Removable support/grab rails, toilet raisers and other access enhancing equipment can be provided on request.
- Lighting is provided by natural light, spotlights and a light integrated into the mirror.
- The colour contrast of floor, walls and towels is low. The contrast between the door and other items is high.
- The floor is tiled.
- The on laundry room is a shared facility. It is situated about 10m from Mickle Rigg cottage.
- The pathway to the laundry room is all paved.
- There is one small step, about 150mm high.
- There are 2 driers and 2 washing machines, and a communal freezer.
- A payphone is available.
- The lighting is provided through a fluorescent tube.
- The flooring is tiled.
- The cottages are set in 5 acres of land. Most land is undulating, and paths are cut grass, there are no hardcore paths in place.
- Mickle Rigg cottage has plastic garden chairs outside the main entrance in summer months. Plastic garden tables can also be provided.
- There is a mixture of wooded areas, lawns, longer grass and wild flowers. There are also two ponds with an adjoining stream. Grass can be boggy in wet weather.
- Dogs are welcome in the cottage.
- Overall the colour contrast in the cottage is good, aside from the bathroom.
- The nearest hospital is situated in Carlisle. Postcode CA2 7HY.
- The nearest doctors surgery is situated in Caldbeck, approximately 4mi away. Telephone 016974 78254. Postcode CA7 8DS.
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network which works in all cottages.
- EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) have strong 3G/4G mobile reception, O2 and Vodafone have reasonable 2G/3G reception, other networks have more limited reception and are less likely to work indoors.
Local Equipment Hire
- We keep a range of assistance items here at Monkhouse Hill, and can borrow others from the local Red Cross – see Welcome All Assistance Cupboard.