This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Raven Howe Cottage is an ideal cottage for families looking for self catering accommodation in a rural location. The cottage is located at Monkhouse Hill, a 300 year old converted Cumbrian hill farm. Raven Howe is one of a collection of eleven cottages are in a courtyard setting within six acres of grounds. There are fields to three sides of us and the B road from which we gain access on the fourth side.
Raven Howe cottage has a double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a third bedroom with adult sized bunk beds.
Raven Howe Cottage has been converted from a 100 year old barn and retains much character with its vaulted roof, exposted stonework and beams. The cottage is fully refurbished in a contemporary Cumbrian style.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 016974 76254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The nearest railway station is Carlisle, approximately 18lm/11mi from Monkhouse Hill. No bus service is available, but taxis can be booked from http://www.radiotaxis.org.uk/ or over the phone on 01228 527575.
- Shopping can be delivered at your cottage using the postcode CA5 7HW, and selecting Monkhouse Hill Farm in the drop down option. In the extra information, please state your cottage name. Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda all deliver to Monkhouse Hill.
- We have a Welcome All Assistance Cupboard – please ask us to email the inventory to you when you book and let us know what you would like to borrow. These items will be put into the cottage ready for your arrival. Additionally, wheelchairs and commodes can be borrowed from the local Red Cross.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is an automatic gate outside the cottages which opens when a car activates the sensor (no key/remote needed).
- Parking is available on site for all cottages, maximum distance to cottage is 60m, but closer, wider parking spaces can be reserved on request (30m distance).
- Parking areas are loose stones, with paved walkways to the Reception and your cottage.
- You can come to reception on arrival from 4pm until 5.30pm to be shown around your cottage but keys will be in the door ready for your arrival.
- A familiarisation tour of your cottage is offered on arrival.
- The parking areas, and most access paths are lit at night. There is an outside light above each cottages entrance, which can be operated from inside and outside.
Entrance to Property
- The main door has a clear opening width of 750mm and is over a 20mm lip. This leads onto fitted door matting covering the first metre of the cottage. The rest of the entrance area is fitted short pile carpet.
- The entrance is well lit both outside and inside, and outside lights are switched on prior to arrival at night. Inside lighting is provided through ceiling lights.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The cottage is on two floors, with an open plan upstairs.
- There are 12 steps, split into two sections around a 90 degree turn. There is a hand rail one one side for the entirety of the stairway. The minimum width of the steps is 800mm.
- There is a passageway downstairs linking two of the bedrooms to the downstairs landing. This passageway is 780mm wide.
- The stairways, landings and passageways are fitted with short pile carpet.
- The stairways, landings and passageways are lit using a combination of ceiling lights and hanging lamps.
- The sitting room is situated upstairs, as part of the open plan living area.
- There are three sofas; a three seater, a two seater and an armchair.
- Tables are low (500mm), and all furniture is moveable, although limited with sofas. There is more than 800mm space between most furniture.
- There is a 37″ flatscreen smart television with remote control, subtitle, and a amazon Alexa.
- A log stove is situated on a 50mm high flagstone.
- There is a balcony which joins onto the sitting room. There is a 770mm wide door with a small 150mm step. A hot tub is located on the balcony, with sides 850mm high. There are steps to allow access into the hot tub.
- Lighting is provided through table lamps, hanging ceiling bulbs and upward facing spotlights. There is also outside lighting on the balcony.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet, with a large rug in front of the fireplace.
- The dining area is situated within the open plan living area.
- There is space around the table for a wheelchair, and the height between the floor and the underside of the table is 630mm. The height of the top of the table is 770mm.
- Chairs are upright without arms, but upright chairs with arms can be provided on request. All chairs are moveable.
- The area is lit via hanging lights and upward facing spotlights.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- The kitchen is part of the open plan living area, and has an entrance area of 1600mm wide.
- The worktop is at a height of 900mm, the microwave is situated on top of the worktop.
- The door of the grill drops down. The door of the oven opens sideways.
- There is a fridge/freezer, with the highest shelf being 1400mm and lowest at 140mm.
- Most cupboards are under the work top, but there is 2 cupboards at 1800mm. Contents (such as glasses and crockery) can be moved to lower cupboards upon request.
- The sink taps are separately controlled via twist taps.
- A swing top bin, pincer grippers and an illuminated magnifying glass can be provided on request.
- Standard size washer/dryer
- The kettle is cordless, and able to rotate 360 degrees.
- The kitchen is lit with four adjustable ceiling spotlights.
- The floor is wooden laminate.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There are three bedrooms, all of which are on the ground floor. There is a double bedroom, a twin room and a bunk room.
- The clear door opening width in the twin and double rooms is 710mm, and 680mm in the bunk room.
- Most furniture can be moved, although the bunks and the double bed have limited movement.
- In the bunk and double rooms, there is at least 1800mm space around the beds, in the twin room there is 1000mm.
- Each bedroom is lit by a combination of bedside lamps, ceiling lamps, and the bunk bed also has a small fluorescent tube for reading on the higher bunk.
- The height of the mattress in each room is 500mm, and there is 250mm of clear space underneath.
- Each room has a wardrobe, a dressing table and bedside tables. The height of the wardrobe rails are 1800mm, and cannot be adjusted.
- Colour contrast between the floor, walls and doorways is medium.
- All bedding is non-feather.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- All double rooms have a digital alarm clock/radio provided.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- The bathroom is situated on the ground floor, at level access from all the bedrooms.
- The door opening is 690mm.
- There is a separate bath and shower. The shower floor has a step of 280mm. The height of the bath sides is 540mm.
- The WC seat is 400mm above the ground.
- The height of the washbasin is 800mm, and there is a full length pedestal.
- The bath taps are separately controlled via twist taps.
- The bath has two support rails, and removable support/grab rails, toilet raisers and other access enhancing equipment can be provided on request.
- The room is lit by a ceiling spotlights. There is also a light contained within the mirror.
- The colour contrast of floor, walls and towels is low. The contrast between the doorway and other areas is high.
- The floor is tiled.
- As well as the balcony, your cottage also has a 5×3 metre paved patio area. This is at level access from the parking space.
- Wooden chairs and a table are provided on the balcony, and there is plastic garden chairs on the patio. Plastic tables can also be provided (they are found in the garden store cupboard)
- The cottage complex is contained within over 5 acres of land.
- There is a mixture of wooded areas, lawns, longer grass and wild flowers. There are also two ponds with an adjoining stream. Grass can be boggy in wet weather.
- Dogs are welcome in the cottage.
- Overall the colour contrast in the cottage is good, aside from the bathroom.
- The nearest hospital is situated in Carlisle. Postcode CA2 7HY.
- The nearest doctors surgery is situated in Caldbeck, approximately 4mi away. Telephone 016974 78254. Postcode CA7 8DS.
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network which works in all cottages.
- EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) have strong 3G/4G mobile reception, O2 and Vodafone have reasonable 2G/3G reception, other networks have more limited reception and are less likely to work indoors.
- Camera are in operation in public area’s for safety and security
Local Equipment Hire
- We keep a range of assistance items here at Monkhouse Hill, and can borrow others from the local Red Cross – see Welcome All Assistance Cupboard.