This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Chapel Beck Cottage is ideal for couples who want a romantic self catering holiday. The cottage is set in a rural location at Monkhouse Hill, a 300 year old converted Cumbrian hill farm. Chapel Beck is one of a collection of nine cottages which are in a courtyard setting within six acres of grounds. There are fields to three sides of us and the B road from which we gain access is on the fourth side.
Chapel Beck Cottage has one bedroom with an adjacent sauna room.
Chapel Beck Cottage is on the first floor of a converted farmworkers cottage built about 100 years ago. The cottage is fully refurbished in a contemporary Cumbrian style.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 016974 76254 or email email@example.com.
- The nearest railway station is Carlisle, approximately 18lm/11mi from Monkhouse Hill. No bus service is available, but taxis can be booked from http://www.radiotaxis.org.uk/ or over the phone on 01228 527575.
- A pre-arrival shopping order can be done online, this will be unpacked into your cottage prior to your arrival. Please see here for more details.
- Shopping can be delivered at your cottage using the postcode CA5 7HW, and selecting Monkhouse Hill Farm in the drop down option. In the extra information, please state your cottage name. Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda all deliver to Monkhouse Hill.
- We have a Welcome All Assistance Cupboard – please ask us to email the inventory to you when you book and let us know what you would like to borrow. These items will be put into the cottage ready for your arrival. Additionally, wheelchairs and commodes can be borrowed from the local Red Cross.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is an automatic gate outside the cottages which opens when a car activates the sensor (no key/remote needed).
- Parking is available on site for all cottages, and an extra-wide space can be reserved 25m from your cottage on request.
- Parking areas are loose stones, with paved walkways to the Farmhouse and your cottage.
- Keys are collected from the Farmhouse, around 30m from the parking space. Keys can be brought to your car if desired.
- A familiarisation tour of your cottage is offered on arrival.
- The parking areas, and most access paths are lit at night. There is an outside light above each cottages entrance, which can be operated from inside and outside.
Entrance to Property
- There is a small 150mm step prior to the entrance
- The main door has a clear opening width of 780mm and is over a20mm lip. This leads onto fitted door matting.
- The entrance is well lit both outside and inside, and outside lights are switched on prior to arrival at night. Inside lighting is provided through adjustable spotlights.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The cottage’s entrance is on ground level, there is a small entrance area and immediately a staircase. The rest of the cottage is on the first floor.
- There are 13 steps, split into two sections around a 90 degree turn. There is a hand rail one one side for the entirety of the stairway. The minimum width of the steps is 780mm.
- The upstairs of the cottage is open plan, meaning no halls/passageways.
- The stairways and landings are lit using adjustable spotlights.
- The sitting room is situated upstairs, as part of the open plan living area.
- There are two sofas, both leather two seaters.
- Tables are low (500mm), and all furniture is moveable, although limited with sofas. There is a at least 1000mm space between most furniture.
- There is a 27” widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitle, and a DVD player.
- A log stove is situated on a 50mm high flagstone.
- Lighting is provided through adjustable spotlights, two table lamps, and some feature lighting.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet, with a large rug in front of the fireplace.
- The dining area is situated within the open plan living area.
- There is space around the table for a wheelchair, and the height between the floor and the underside of the table is 600mm. The height of the top of the table is 710mm.
- Chairs are upright without arms, but upright chairs with arms can be provided on request. All chairs are moveable.
- The area is lit via adjustable spotlights.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- The kitchen is part of the open plan living area, and has an entrance area of 1600mm wide.
- The worktop is at a height of 900mm, the microwave is situated on top of the worktop.
- The door of the oven drops down vertically.
- The fridge is contained underneath the worktop, therefore under 900mm.
- Most cupboards are under the work top, but there is 3 cupboards at 1800mm. Contents (such as glasses and crockery) can be moved to lower cupboards upon request.
- The sink taps are controlled by dual control lever taps.
- A swing top bin, pincer grippers and an illuminated magnifying glass can be provided on request.
- The kettle is cordless, and able to rotate 360 degrees.
- The kitchen is lit with adjustable ceiling spotlights.
- The floor is wooden laminate.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There is one double bedroom, with a bed.
- The clear door opening width is 710mm. There is two steps down into the bedroom.
- Most furniture can be moved, although the bed has limited movement.
- There is at least 1500mm of room around the bed.
- Each bedroom is lit by a combination of bedside lamps, adjustable spotlights and a dressing lamp.
- The height of the mattress in each room is 540mm, and there is no space underneath.
- Each room has a wardrobe, a dressing table and bedside tables. The height of the wardrobe rails are 1800mm, and cannot be adjusted.
- Colour contrast between the floor, walls and doorways is medium.
- All bedding is non-feather, and this cottage is a pet-free zone.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- All double rooms have a digital alarm clock/radio provided
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- There is a bathroom with a toilet, sink and bath. There is also a spa room with a sauna, shower and steam tub.
- The bathroom is on level access with the living area. The clear door opening with is 700mm. There is a bath with a side height of 530mm, which also has a grab rail. The WC height is 400mm. The washbasin has a height of 930mm, with a half length pedestal. The bath has a mixer tap, and the washbasin has separately operated taps.
- The spa room is on level access with the bedroom, but is two steps down from the living area. There is an entrance from the living area, with a door opening of 750mm, there is also an entrance from the bedroom.
- In the spa room, there is a shower with a step of 130mm. There is a sauna with a door width
- Removable support/grab rails, toilet raisers and other access enhancing equipment can be provided on request.
- The room is lit by cord operated ceiling spotlights. There is also a light contained within the mirror.
- The colour contrast of floor, walls and towels is low. The contrast between the doorway and other areas is high.
- The floor is tiled.
- The on laundry room is a shared facility. It is situated about 20m from Miller Moss cottage.
- The pathway to the laundry room is all paved.
- There is one small step, about 150mm high.
- There are 2 driers and 2 washing machines, and a communal freezer.
- A payphone is available.
- The lighting is provided through a fluorescent tube.
- The flooring is tiled.
- The cottage has a 3×3 metre paved patio area outside the front door. This is at level access from the parking space.
- There is plastic garden chairs on the patio. Plastic tables can also be provided (they are found in the garden store cupboard)
- The cottage complex is contained within over 5 acres of land.
- There is a mixture of wooded areas, lawns, longer grass and wild flowers. There are also two ponds with an adjoining stream. Grass can be boggy in wet weather.
- Pet Friendly accommodation.
- Overall the colour contrast in the cottage is good, aside from the bathroom.
- The nearest hospital is situated in Carlisle. Postcode CA2 7HY.
- The nearest doctors surgery is situated in Caldbeck, approximately 4mi away. Telephone 016974 78254. Postcode CA7 8DS.
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network which works in all cottages.
- EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) have strong 3G/4G mobile reception, O2 and Vodafone have reasonable 2G/3G reception, other networks have more limited reception and are less likely to work indoors.
Local Equipment Hire
- We keep a range of assistance items here at Monkhouse Hill, and can borrow others from the local Red Cross – see Welcome All Assistance Cupboard.