This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Cloven Stone Cottage is ideal for families or two couples who want a relaxing holiday in a rural location. Monkhouse Hill is a 300 year old converted Cumbrian hill farm. The collection of Eleven cottages are in a courtyard setting which is set within six acres of grounds. There are fields to three sides of us and the B road from which we gain access on the fourth side.
Cloven Stone Cottage has two ensuite bedrooms – one is a double bedroom and the second can be configured either as a twin or double.
Cloven Stone Cottage was a new build opening in 2000 in the same architectural style as the original buildings on site. It is furnished in a contemporary Cumbrian style.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 016974 76254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The nearest railway station is Carlisle, approximately 18lm/11mi from Monkhouse Hill. No bus service is available, but taxis can be booked from http://www.radiotaxis.org.uk/ or over the phone on 01228 527575.
- Shopping can be delivered at your cottage using the postcode CA5 7HW, and selecting Monkhouse Hill Farm in the drop down option. In the extra information, please state your cottage name. Sainsburys, Tescos and Asda all deliver to Monkhouse Hill.
- We have a Welcome All Assistance Cupboard – please ask us to email the inventory to you when you book and let us know what you would like to borrow. These items will be put into the cottage ready for your arrival. Additionally, wheelchairs and commodes can be borrowed from the local Red Cross.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- There is an automatic gate outside the cottages which opens when a car activates the sensor (no key/remote needed).
- Parking is available on site for all cottages, and an extra-wide space can be reserved 3m from your cottage on request.
- Parking areas are loose stones, with paved walkways to the Reception and your cottage.
- You can come to reception on arrival from 4pm until 5.30pm to be shown around your cottage but keys will be in the door ready for your arrival.
- A familiarisation tour of your cottage is offered on arrival.
- The parking areas, and most access paths are lit at night. There is an outside light above each cottages entrance, which can be operated from inside and outside.
Entrance to Property
- The 3m pathway from the parking to cottage is paved and on a level slope.
- There is a 100mm step prior to the door.
- The main door is 750mm wide over a 40mm lip. This leads onto fitted door matting.
- The entrance is well lit both outside and inside, and outside lights are switched on prior to arrival at night.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The cottage is on two floors, with an open layout upstairs meaning no halls or passageways.
- The downstairs corridor is 850mm wide, and joins the main door, bedrooms and the stairway.
- There are 13 steps, split into two sections around a 90 degree turn. There is a hand rail for the entirety of the stairway. The minimum width of the steps is 800mm.
- The hall is covered with fitted short pile carpet.
- The hall is lit using ceiling lights.
- The sitting room is situated at the top of the stairs.
- There is a 3 person sofa, and a 1 person armchair.
- Tables are low (500mm), and all furniture is moveable, although already spacious.
- There is a 26” widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitle, and a DVD player.
- A log stove is situated on a 50mm high flagstone.
- There is a balcony which joins onto the sitting room. There is a double door with a small 50mm step. A hot tub is located on the balcony, with sides 850mm high. There are steps to allow access into the hot tub.
- Lighting is provided through 2 table lamps, 2 standing lamps, hanging ceiling bulbs and upright facing spotlights.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet, with a large rug in the centre.
- The dining area is situated within the open plan living area, near to the kitchen.
- There is space around the table for a wheelchair, and the height between the floor and the underside of the table is 610mm. The height of the top of the table is 770mm.
- Chairs are upright without arms, but upright chairs with arms can be provided on request. All chairs are moveable.
- The area is lit via hanging lights and spotlights.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- The kitchen is part of the open plan living area, and is situated on level access with the dining area.
- The worktop/sink/hob are 900mm/35.4in above the floor. The microwave is situated on top of the worktop.
- The door of the oven drops down.
- The fridge and freezer are separate units, both situated under the work top. The highest shelf is 750mm/29.5in from the floor.
- Wall cupboards are 1800mm from the floor, but contents (such as glasses and crockery) can be moved to lower cupboards upon request.
- Sink tap is dual control mixer tap.
- The kettle is cordless, and able to rotate 360 degrees. There is also a smoothie machine.
- The kitchen is lit with adjustable ceiling spotlights.
- The floor is tiled.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- Both of the bedrooms in your cottage are situated on the ground floor.
- The clear door opening width in both rooms is 730mm/28.7in.
- All furniture in both rooms is movable.
- There is a room containing a double bed, and a room containing two single beds. The two single beds can be configured as a zip-link double bed on request.
- In the twin room, there is 1200mm of space next to the bed, in the double room there is 1000mm.
- Both rooms are lit by a ceiling lamp, and two table lamps.
- The height of the mattress in both rooms isn 500mm, and there is no space underneath the beds.
- Both rooms have two bedside tables, a wardrobe and a dresser. The height of the wardrobe rail is 1700mm
- The double room has an adjustable mirror on the dressing table.
- Colour contrast between the floor, walls and doorways is medium.
- All bedding is non-feather, and this cottage is a pet free zone.
- The floor covering is fitted short pile carpet.
- All rooms have a digital alarm clock/radio provided.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- Both bedrooms are en-suite, and have step free level access to the adjoining bathrooms.
- The door openings are 720mm wide.
- The shower is over the bath, which sides are 520mm above the ground.
- The WC seat is 410mm above the ground.
- The height of the washbasin is 790mm, and there is a narrow pedestal underneath the sink.
- The bath taps are separately controlled via level taps.
- The bath has two support rails, and removable support/grab rails, toilet raisers and other access enhancing equipment can be provided on request.
- The room is lit by a ceiling light. There is also a light above the mirror.
- The colour contrast of floor, walls and towels is low. The contrast between the doorway and other areas is high.
- The floor is tiled.
- As well as the balcony, your cottage also has a 5×3 metre paved patio area. This is at level access from the parking space.
- There is plastic garden chairs on the patio. Plastic tables can also be provided (they are found in the garden store cupboard)
- The cottage complex is contained within over 5 acres of land.
- There is a mixture of wooded areas, lawns, longer grass and wild flowers. There are also two ponds with an adjoining stream. Grass can be boggy in wet weather.
- Dogs are welcome in the cottage.
- Overall the colour contrast in the cottage is good, aside from the bathroom.
- The nearest hospital is situated in Carlisle. Postcode CA2 7HY.
- The nearest doctors surgery is situated in Caldbeck, approximately 4mi away. Telephone 016974 78254. Postcode CA7 8DS.
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network which works in all cottages.
- EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) have strong 3G/4G mobile reception, O2 and Vodafone have reasonable 2G/3G reception, other networks have more limited reception and are less likely to work indoors.
- Camera’s are in operation in public area’s
Local Equipment Hire
- We keep a range of assistance items here at Monkhouse Hill, and can borrow others from the local Red Cross – see Welcome All Assistance Cupboard.